In honor of National Health Care Decisions Day, which seeks to promote advance care planning, I share with you an article explaining the benefits of seeking out Palliative care. This is the opinion expressed by a colleague, Dr. Daniel Pomerantz, Director of Palliative Care, Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital.
He reminds us of Dr. Atul Gawande recommendations in his book, "Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End," to encourage patients coping with serious illness, their families and their doctors to understand the patient's answers to the following questions:
• What is your understanding of where you are and of your illness?
• What are your fears or worries for the future?
• What are your goals and priorities?
• What outcomes are unacceptable to you?
• What are you willing to sacrifice and not?
• What would a good day look like?